Monday, June 27, 2005

What I'm Not

My fiancee (whom I will refer to on this blog as Little Miss until I get a better idea, because she's rather like the character in the Asimov story in her care of me), has made the interesting suggestion that I use this space to cover some controversies in Jewish life and practice. I'm no scholar, but I've been taught a few things, so let's see how it goes.

Let's start with a practice that many feminists find highly objectionable, one that leads some of them to assert that observant Judaism is a misogynistic system. Each morning, an observant Jewish man will say, among other things, "Bless are You, Lord our God, for not making me a woman."

That link actually covers what I was taught on this subject, and it links back to a lot of other women's issues in observant Judaism as well. I'll just mention that this prayer bothers me too, despite the explanations given.

Most observant Jewish families that I know include working mothers, and quite a few of them own businesses or work in the professions, so the phrase "not making me a woman" implies no disrespect for women's abilities at all. Nevertheless, as Ms. Kressel's site demonstrates, the prayer requires some explanation these days, and it's still bothersome.

That's the way it is with a lot of Jewish subjects, which I'll be writing about as time goes on. Meantime, let's ask this question - when it comes to your spiritual life, what are you looking for? Something that will validate everything you already believe, or something that requires some adjustment and some thinking from you? Something designed to make you feel good, or something designed to make you wise? Something you can bend to your will, or something that requires you to bend your will to that of Another?

Because if you want something spiritually that will encourage you to grow, rather than to stay still, take it from me - it's not going to be comfortable all the time.

Thanks, Little Miss.

Benshlomo says, God is not your drinking buddy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home