Monday, January 23, 2006

That'll Do

The other day, Little Miss and I went grocery shopping at a local Whole Foods. We were trying to pick out the proper brand of qinoa (you'd never find that in a regular grocery store), when we heard a voice asking "Excuse me, is this your cart?"

I turned around and found myself face to face with Farmer Hoggett - James Cromwell.



His voice was polite and his face was friendly, but I don't think Little Miss recognized him. She said "No," and turned back to the qinoa.

Mr. Cromwell took the empty cart down the aisle, and a couple of minutes later Little Miss looked up at me sheepishly and said "That wasn't very polite of me, was it?"

That's one thing about Little Miss that really softens my heart; she loves people so much and she wants to treat them well so much, that she'll think she's being rude when she's only being normal.

So we walked down the aisle and Little Miss said, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so short."

Mr. Cromwell grinned so wide I thought the top of his head would fall off, and he said "That's quite all right, you weren't!"

As we continued our shopping, I said to Little Miss, "You know who that was? That was Farmer Hoggett!"

She didn't quite remember the name.

"You know, the dead guy from I, Robot!" That's one of her favorite movies.


I think she felt very happy that she had apologized to him before she found out he's a celebrity.

Living in Los Angeles, you see celebrities on a fairly regular basis. Over the last few years, within about a ten-mile radius, I've seen John Goodman, Jeff Goldblum, Shaquille O'Neal, John Cleese, Geena Davis, Jerry Seinfeld, Axl Rose, John Hiatt, and a host of others, all in the ordinary course of daily life, and old as I am I still find it surprising that they're normal sized (except Shaq, that is, and Geena Davis too). I keep expecting celebrities to be about fifty feet tall, even the ones you only see on television.

None of them have ever been rude to me, but James Cromwell was about the friendliest (with the possible exception of Jay Leno), and he was nice to someone I love, so I'm going to remember this incident very happily.

Benshlomo says, Way to go, Farmer Hoggett.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home