Saturday, October 15, 2005

More More More Jewish Holidays

Yom Kippur was this past Thursday, and the very next night another Shabbat began. I have not been very strict in my observance over the past many years, but even with the minimal discipline I practice now, that struck me as an awful lot of Jewish self-denial in a very short space of time.

There must be many people, Orthodox or otherwise, who look upon a circumstance like this - two holidays in a row when you can't drive, watch TV, cook, or otherwise change the matter of the world - as a cause for great delight. Many people must have gone home last Wednesday evening, started the fast, and said "Thank you, God, for giving us so many days of rest, of concentration upon You, so quickly!"

Little Miss pointed out to me that my attitude is a matter of the possibility I've created over this time. I tend to view these days as long and unentertaining, full of duties. What if I looked upon them as an opportunity for something else?

Good question. I'm going to have to see what I can do with it. And after all, it's not like these days are so burdensome. It's a cliche, but if I had the misfortunes of this New Orleans rabbi, I'd probably think of these last few days as a tremendous gift.



Benshlomo says, Next time I feel the burden of my life, I'm going to try to remember that at least I don't have to part the Red Sea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home