Thursday, October 06, 2005

Buy a Saddle


There's a useful piece of advice from Talmud (well, it's all useful advice, of course), which goes something like this:

If someone tells you you're a horse, ignore them. If two people tell you you're a horse, ignore them. If three people tell you you're a horse, go buy a saddle.

(Another version I've heard concerns what to do if someone tells you you're drunk, and concludes with the instruction "If three people tell you you're drunk, the least you can do is lie down for a while." I'm not sure which version I like best.)


Well, over the holidays, Little Miss told me that she thinks I should go to yeshiva and become a rabbi. She's said that before, but this time she said it at a Rosh Hashana celebration and my mother heard her. My mother, too, has told me that she thinks I ought to go to yeshiva and become a rabbi, and she told Little Miss of her agreement.

The thing is, my brother was there and agreed, also. I don't remember ever hearing him give me that advice before.

In any event, that's three people who told me I should be a rabbi, all at the same time. Hm.

I told Little Miss that, if I were to go to yeshiva, it would probably take me about three years to get smicha (rabbinical ordination), and she'd probably have to support us during that time. She said "I can do that." Hm.

Hm.

Benshlomo says, Can anyone help me with these stirrups?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home