Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Baby Brown in Congress

This is just unbelievable. Michael "Doing a heck of a job" Brown sits on his ass for ten days or so while New Orleans drowns, someone in Congress asks him why, and he says "I guess you want me to be a superhero."


I was a classroom teacher once. What do you suppose would have happened to me if I had failed to show up for class or call the school for a couple of weeks, leaving the principal scrambling to get my students cared for, if he had then asked me why I hadn't done my job, and I had said "I guess you want me to be a superhero"? If, that is, I had claimed that I needed extraordinary powers just to follow my job description? Being flayed alive would be a merciful fate.

Good ol' Brownie also tells Congress "My biggest mistake was failing to realize that Louisiana was dysfunctional." What do you suppose would have happened to me if I had told my principal in the above scenario that "My biggest mistake was failing to realize that my unlicensed teacher's aid couldn't prepare a lesson plan in ten minutes and then teach all day"? If, that is, I had claimed my biggest mistake was failing to realize that the next most responsible person in the room lacked the training, resources and legal right to do my job? Being flayed alive, etc.


Let's review: Michael Brown received an appointment from George W. Bush to head up an agency with the responsibility to make damn sure that the victims of any national emergency received proper care. A national emergency hit, he lounged around for a couple of weeks, and now claims that (1) he didn't have the power to take care of the victims, and (2) doing so wasn't his job anyway.

Yes, the mayor of New Orleans and the governor of Louisiana could have done a better job. I heard some Bush apologist on television say that very thing about an hour ago. He then said that the president rolled up his sleeves, stepped up to the plate, and started fixing the problem. The crappy sports metaphors should be enough to tell you that neither this idiot, nor Brownie, nor our chief executive has the least idea what's going on in the real world. And when a Congressman points that out to them, they complain about how unfair Congressman is.

Out here in real life, fellas, we try to leave that kind of whining behind in first grade at the latest.


Benshlomo says, Do you think we can elect a group of adults to high office next time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home