Friday, December 01, 2006

Who to Chain Yourself To

I'm not always up on just who's who in Congress. Since moving to Santa Clarita a few weeks ago, I don't even know my congressman's (or woman's) name.


However, when a congressman or senator really puts his/her foot in it, I like to look up their record and see if the idiocy is just a slip-up or genuinely endemic. In the case of Conrad Burns, the junior Republican senator from Montana, it's an easy call.


I can't find out the context just yet, but a little while ago soon-to-be-ex Senator Burns lashed out at environmental activists, saying "If they really want to save the horse or the wolves or the grizzly bear, why don't they chain themselves to them?"

This from a man who chained himself to Abram Jackoff.

Incidentally, this strikes me as a peculiarly Republican tactic; you find a certain person or group irritating because of what they advocate, so instead of addressing their concerns you simply ridicule them personally. I don't doubt that Democrats do that, but you don't usually hear about it unless it's John Kerry forgetting to use the word "us" in a joke. Can anyone point me to an example of Democratic personal attacks?

Benshlomo says, It sure is easy to laugh off your enemies, especially after you've just lost your job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home