Monday, May 22, 2006

Sugar, Sugar

Yep, I've had quite a time with good old dextrose lately.

First, a few weeks ago, my doctor informed me that my blood sugar was close to 250. I'm diabetic, but not on insulin, so I wasn't taking the diagnosis very seriously up until the doctor put the fear into me.

He said "In 10 years you're going to have a heart attack or a stroke, and after that you won't live or die; you'll just exist, completely unable to do anything for yourself. The pain in your arms or legs will be so intense you'll have to go on debilitating painkillers for the rest of your life, but the pills won't really eliminate the pain, anyway. As for getting married, there's no point; functioning sexually will be out of the question."


So I stopped eating sugar almost entirely and my blood sugar went down to about 150 - not excellent, but acceptable. Which is all very well, but for someone who loves dessert, as I do, it's still a struggle every day.

Then the other day, some complete waste of life poured sugar into Little Miss's gas tank while her car was parked across from my home. And we all know what that does.



It's some sort of miracle that she noticed the crystals when she pulled into the gas station; she could just as easily have missed that and found herself stranded somewhere between here and Oxnard with her daughter in tow. As it is, she made it to my mother's house and we got her to a service station.

Thank God for my mother and her family feeling toward her daughters-in-law, both current and prospective. Neither I nor Little Miss is now in a position to pay for the necessary repairs. But my family loves my love.

Despite that, I found myself asking God this morning "What are You doing, anyway? Why all these crises being heaped on us?"

Of course I haven't got an answer to that. Maybe it's just an opportunity to get close to the family and let others support us in our need. That does feel mighty good, I must admit.

Nevertheless, and despite my peace-loving nature, if I catch the malicious pinhead responsible for this encounter, it's going to get ugly.

Benshlomo says, Roses are red, the engine is shot, sugar is sweet unless it's not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home