Thursday, April 28, 2005

Back to Normal

It's amazing how we human beings can add meaning to practically anything. My girlfriend and I are back in phase with each other, and it turns out that she didn't think I had taken someone else to the movies after all. What bothered her was this: I sent her an email inviting her to join me at the movies if she wanted to, but hesitating to ask her to drive all the way from Ventura because I was cautious about asking her to accommodate my convenience all the time, and saying that any tendency on my part to thus take advantage of her "grossed me out".

There's something about that phrase that really bugs her - she finds it dirty and disgusting, partly because she spent a part of her childhood on a ranch mucking out horses. Not that I was saying that anything about her grossed me out, you understand, but even applying that phrase to myself really threw her.

The specific thing that bothered her surprised me somewhat, but that she got upset in itself didn't surprise me. We're getting to that point in a new relationship where you want to feel sure of the other person but you don't because you don't yet know them that well, so you get a little sensitive. Fortunately, she was able to communicate her feelings to me in an honest but kindly fashion, and I was ready to hear just about anything she wanted me to know, so it worked out nicely.

Anyway, I learned that a telephone call at times like these is probably more effective than email.

Benshlomo says, Pick up the phone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home